Last updated: February 18th, 2019
VolunteerCrowd Inc. (“VolunteerCrowd”) is dedicated to helping K-12 and college students find, schedule, share and track volunteer projects with ease, and create a volunteer portfolio showcasing their achievements on college, internship, scholarship, and employment applications. When you share information with us we can help you achieve that goal by helping you find the right volunteer opportunities to inspire service learning and make your experience count toward a bright and promising future.
It is VolunteerCrowd's policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our website and VolunteerCrowd two mobile applications (Android and iOS). To accomplish this, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We only collect your personal information when we need it, and only what we need to provide you with our services.
- We don't share your personal information with anyone except to provide and develop our services, comply with the law, or protect the rights, property or safety of VolunteerCrowd, our users or the public.
- We don't store your personal information unless it’s required for the ongoing operation of our services.
- We give you control over how your personal information is used, including what's made visible to the public, seen by search engines, kept private, and deleted.
Whether you are new to VolunteerCrowd or a long-time user, please take some time to get to know our practices. This Privacy Notice is meant to help you understand how we collect and use the personal information you provide on our website, https://VolunteerCrowd.com, and the two official VolunteerCrowd iOS and Android mobile applications. This Notice explains:
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use and share that information.
- The choices we offer you to protect your privacy and the rights you have, including how you can access and update your information.
- How to contact us if you have questions or concerns.
What information we collect
We need to collect certain information about you to provide you with the Service or the support you request. The type of information we collect can vary depending on how you access and use our Service. Additionally, you can choose to voluntarily provide information to us.
Information you provide to us to use the Service
We collect the information you provide when you sign up for a VolunteerCrowd account, log in to your account, communicate with us, answer our surveys, upload content, or otherwise use the Services. We request an email address and date of birth when you choose to sign up for the Service so we can provide the Services to you and allow us to comply with applicable regulations. Without this information, we are not be able to provide you with the Service. Users who engage in financial transactions with VolunteerCrowd, for example to purchase an upgraded membership subscription, are asked to provide additional information in order to complete the transaction, such as a credit card number, billing address and full name. Visitors can always refrain from supplying certain information, but it may prevent them from engaging in certain VolunteerCrowd services which require that information.
Information you provide to enhance your experience
You can choose to provide us with additional information in order to obtain a better user experience when using the Service. This additional information will be processed with your consent and/or to provide you with services you request. This information includes your survey responses, participation in contests, promotions or other marketing efforts, suggestions for improvements, referrals, or any other actions on the Service. Information we get automatically when you use VolunteerCrowd We automatically collect information about you and how you use the Service, like when you like a volunteer project or volunteer organization, request, confirm, check-in, or check out of a volunteer shift, or view and interact with your or other users’ content. This information we collect includes:
Like most website operators, VolunteerCrowd collects information about how users visit our site and the devices they use. We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, device identifiers like IDFA and UDID, and mobile network information). VolunteerCrowd may associate your device identifiers or other device information with your VolunteerCrowd Account to help us provide consistent services across your devices.
We may use or store your IP address to generate a general approximation of where you are located in order to provide you with an improved experience. We do not request access to or collect location sensor information, such as GPS or Bluetooth beacons, from your mobile device while downloading or using our mobile apps or services.
When you use VolunteerCrowd, we automatically collect and store certain information about this activity. This data includes details of how you used our service, like your search queries, clicks and site navigation information, or volunteer activity. It also may include data such as:
- Browser type
- Language preference and time zone
- Referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request
- Connection information like ISP or mobile operator
- Internet Protocol (IP) address
- Log-in and Log-out times
Information we collect from other sourcesWe also collect some information from other sources and combine that with information we collect from you. We do not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your personal data, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to us should be directed to such third parties. The information we collect about you from third parties includes:Facebook Connect, Google Login, Instagram Authentication and Snapchat Login. You have the option to log in to our site using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect, Google Login, Instagram Authentication and Snapchat Login. These services authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us, such as your name, date of birth, and email address, to pre-populate our sign-up form. You may, optionally, choose to provide additional information during the sign-up or linking process, such as a friends’ (a.k.a. crowd) list, to enable certain crowd-related and content sharing features on VolunteerCrowd.
Other usersVolunteerCrowd may receive information about you from other users. For example, if another user chooses to use our referral service to tell a friend about our website, we may ask that user for their friend’s name and email address so we can send the invites on their behalf. You may contact us at VolunteerCrowd.com/contact to request that we remove your information from our database.
Other partners and companiesVolunteerCrowd may also receive information about you from other sources, including our partners, service providers or other third parties.
Information from ChildrenVolunteerCrowd is intended for students of all ages. For users age 13 and over, if a child requests access to our website we accommodate them by offering a limited feature set and restricted website experience that removes certain features. We offer this restricted experience (“Child Account”) for accounts of all users below the age of 13 and for some users below the age of 16 where applicable under local law. VolunteerCrowd does not accumulate personal information about any Child Account for distribution, sharing, or selling, except as described in this Privacy Notice. To create an account, we require the user to submit a date of birth, username and email address. We collect a parent’s email address from a child under the age of consent if they attempt to register in order to notify the parent of their child’s use of VolunteerCrowd and, where required, to seek parental consent for use of that data. We do not condition a child's participation or access to any activity on VolunteerCrowd on the child providing any personally-identifying information or any more information than is reasonably necessary for that activity. We may use aggregated or de-identified information about children for research, analysis, marketing and other commercial purposes.
Third Party Service ProvidersWhere necessary, we use restricted versions of our third-party services (for example, Google Analytics) that limit data sharing and tracking on areas of our site and mobile apps that are accessed by children to support our internal operations.
Parental RightsParents and legal guardians of children under 13 can consent to collection and use of a child's personal information without consenting to the disclosure of that information to third parties. Parents or guardians can review information their children under 13 have contributed to VolunteerCrowd by accessing their child's account via password reset. Parents can also request that VolunteerCrowd delete that information and refuse to allow VolunteerCrowd to collect further information from their children by contacting VolunteerCrowd at Privacy@VolunteerCrowd.com. VolunteerCrowd may ask additional questions or take other steps to verify the identity of a parent or guardian before responding to a request to review or delete a child's information or a request to refuse further collection from a child.
How we use your informationWe collect information about you when you use the Service for a variety of reasons in order to support VolunteerCrowd and to enable our team to continue to create engaging experiences for our users.
Providing, Analyzing, Improving and Developing the ServiceWe process the data we collect about you to operate, improve and develop the VolunteerCrowd Service, including providing, maintaining, securing and improving our services, developing new ones, and protecting VolunteerCrowd and our users. We are able to deliver our services, personalize content, and make suggestions for you by using this information to understand how you use and interact with our services. We conduct surveys and research, test features in development, and analyze the information we have to evaluate and improve products and services, develop new products or features, and conduct audits and troubleshooting activities. Here are some examples of how we use this information:
- Providing, maintaining and improving the VolunteerCrowd Service. The information we collect from you allows us to help you log in, host your content, and use the various volunteer project support features we have. It also allows us learn about how you and others use VolunteerCrowd to help create new activities and services.
- Improving, personalizing and facilitating your use of the Service. When you sign up and use a VolunteerCrowd account, we may associate certain information with your new account, such as information about other VolunteerCrowd accounts you had or currently have, and your prior usage of the Service. For example, we use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to save your language preferences, so we will be able to have our services appear in the language you prefer. We do this in order to ensure that content from the Service is presented in the most effective manner for you.
- Measuring, tracking and analyzing trends and usage in connection with your use or the performance of the Service. In order to develop and enhance our products and deliver a consistent, secure and continuous experience, we need gather certain information to analyze usage and performance of the Service.
- Fulfilling any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with the Service.
Communicating with You About the ServiceWe also process the data we collect about you to provide you with relevant information about the Service and to assist you in using the Service if required. These communications may include:
- Sending you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us about our products and services. We may send you information about the parts of VolunteerCrowd you use or that may be relevant to you. While we primarily use our various product blogs to communicate this type of information and we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum, you may object to being contacted for these reasons using your personal contact information using the mechanisms provided in the VolunteerCrowd service or using the information provided below.
- Conducting surveys and collecting feedback about the Service. We do this to evaluate the effectiveness of any updates we provide.
- Delivering assistance or answering support requests. We send you the information and support you request, including technical notices, security alerts, and other administrative messages to provide assistance for problems you may encounter with the Service or your VolunteerCrowd account.
Protecting the Service and Maintaining a Trusted EnvironmentWe use the data we collect to maintain VolunteerCrowd as a safe and secure platform for all our users, including appropriate enforcement of VolunteerCrowd policies, as well as compliance with the law and applicable regulations. These efforts include:
- Preventing fraud, crime and abuse and the security and integrity of the Service. This includes investigating, detecting and preventing or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, other potentially prohibited or illegal activities or to otherwise help protect your account.
- Protecting our and third parties’ rights and property and enforcing our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies, including our Community Guidelines and Honor Code.
- Verifying your identity. In some cases, we may need to verify your identity in order to protect the security and integrity of the Service and your account.
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulations. This includes appropriately responding to lawful requests for information from the government or third parties through legal process.
- Contacting you to resolve disputes, collect fees and provide assistance with the Service.
Advertising, Analytics and MarketingIn order to support the VolunteerCrowd business and provide our users with relevant information regarding the Service and opportunities presented by partners, VolunteerCrowd may use your personal information for the purposes of:
- Marketing the Service.
- Communicating with you and others about opportunities, products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives, surveys, and rewards offered by us and select partners.
- Displaying relevant advertising to you while using the Service.
Promotional CommunicationsYou may receive promotional messages from VolunteerCrowd when you first interact with the Service or by making a request to us. You can opt out of receiving promotional messages from VolunteerCrowd at the time we collect your information by following the instructions on screen, in those messages, or by changing your notification settings in your VolunteerCrowd account. Opting out of receiving communications may impact your use of the Services. If you decide to opt out, we can still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts and messages about your volunteer project logistics, account, or our ongoing business relations.
Third-Party AnalyticsWe can use third-party service providers to provide site metrics and other analytics services. These third parties can use technologies discussed below, such as cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, to collect information, such as your IP address, identifiers associated with your device, other applications on your device, the browsers you use to access the Service, the pages viewed, how much time you spend on a page or VolunteerCrowd overall, links you clicked, and activity information (for example, volunteer projects you have completed). This information can be used by VolunteerCrowd and third-party service providers on behalf of VolunteerCrowd to analyse and track usage of the Service, determine the popularity of certain volunteer projects or organizations, and better understand how you use the Service. The third-party service providers that we engage are bound by confidentiality obligations and other restrictions with respect to their collection, use and disclosure of your information.
Other UsesWe may process data for any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with the Service from time to time. If we intend to process your personal data for a purpose other than that set out above and which is not compatible with the original processing purpose, we will provide you with relevant information prior to such processing and will obtain your consent where necessary.
Mobile AnalyticsLike cookies, we use mobile analytics software to pursue our legitimate interests in operating and improving VolunteerCrowd by allowing us to better understanding of the functionality of our mobile software on your device. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events and activities that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within our analytics software to any personally-identifying information you submit within the mobile app or the Service.
Web BeaconsWeb beacons are electronic images that can be used in the Service or emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Local storageThird parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity, may use Local Storage to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing data from Local Storage, so we would encourage you to review the practices and policies of your browsers.
Managing Your AccountYou remain in control of the information you provide to VolunteerCrowd. You may review, edit or delete any information you submit to us at any time by signing into your VolunteerCrowd account; however, deletion of this information may restrict your ability to effectively use the Service. You may also delete your account at any time. If you delete your account, all the study sets, folders, and classes that you've created will also be also deleted in accordance with our data retention practices. For users with Child Accounts, the parent also retains control of the information the child provides to VolunteerCrowd. Parents may review, edit or delete their child’s account’s content or account at any time by signing into the child’s account. If the parent deletes the account, all the study sets, folders, and classes the child created are also deleted. A parent may request updates or corrections to a Child Account’s registration information by contacting support@VolunteerCrowd.com. We will respond to these requests within a reasonable timeframe.
How your information is shared
Information you choose to share on VolunteerCrowdCertain information about you or activities you perform on VolunteerCrowd may be displayed publicly, with the user’s permission, for example, information included on your user profile, projects you have completed, ratings you have achieved, or reviews you have provided about a volunteer project or organization or received from an organization following completion of a volunteer project. Whenever possible, we provide you with choices about the privacy of your information on VolunteerCrowd. Comments you post on our blog or in reviews may be viewable by other users of VolunteerCrowd and the general public and you should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from these areas, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
How VolunteerCrowd shares this informationVolunteerCrowd does not share your information unless one of the following conditions applies:
With your consentWe will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VolunteerCrowd when we have your consent to do so.
For external processingVolunteerCrowd provides personal and non-personal information to our partners, trusted organizations, vendors and other affiliated organizations to process it on our behalf. Some of these contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country. Our providers process data in accordance with our instructions, Privacy Notice and any other appropriate confidentiality, security or other requirements we deem necessary in order to comply with VolunteerCrowd’s obligations. By using VolunteerCrowd, you agree to allow these companies to process your data on our behalf, regardless of where they are located. We regularly update a list of our partners, service providers and subprocessors, which you can view here.
To respond to legal and other requests and to prevent harmVolunteerCrowd will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of VolunteerCrowd if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Respond to or meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce our Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Protect against and prevent harm to the rights, property or safety of VolunteerCrowd, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.